February 26, 2013
Last week, EdTechTeacher’s Greg Kulowiec wrote:
After working with iPads for any amount of time in the classroom, one will quickly realize that most processes can’t be completed with just one app. While many apps slightly overlap in terms of functionality, there tends to be a few black holes in each app that require the use of another app to complete the process. This leads us to App Smashing.
App Smashing Defined: The process of using multiple apps in conjunction with one another to complete a final task or project.
In App Smashing: Part I, Greg walks through his favorite smash where students create a web based timeline to capture their learning, to share a digital portfolio, or to capture an event, era or topic of study. This week, Greg continued the discussion of App Smashing with App Smashing Part II: Blogging X ____
This time we will explore the many ways that students can publish to the web by blogging with the Blogger app. However, instead of simply being restricted to the options presented in the app to post only text or images, the smashing will continue and will open up the ability to embed video and audio.
- Explain Everything (optional)
- Garageband (optional)
- Create a blog with Blogger. A new blog can’t be created in the app, so go to blogger through Safari to create a new blog.
- Post a entry to the blog through the blogger app. You will notice that there is only an option to insert text and images (camera roll and live photos).
- Create a screencast in Explain Everything and export the video to the camera roll or shoot video from the camera app.
- Upload the video to your Vimeo account from the Vimeo app. (the vimeo app will pull video from the camera roll to upload).
- Log into your Vimeo account through Safari & copy the embed code.
- Paste the embed code in a blog post through the Blogger app. The video will automatically embed when the post is published.
Tap the share button then copy the embed code
Blog post with the Vimeo embed code
Blog post with an embedded video that has been published through the Blogger app
- Record audio directly into the SoundCloud app. The app does not allow for editing. If you would like to credit edited audio I suggest using Garageband. Garageband allows a finished podcast to be exported directly to a SoundCloud account.
- Log into your SoundCloud account through Safari and copy the embed code.
- Paste the embed code into a post through blogger and when published the audio will automatically embed.
With this simple smash, your iPad blog through Blogger can be supplemented quite easily with both embedded audio and video.
How are you app smashing?
Share your favorite smashes with us at #ettipad. Greg will be talking more about App Smashing and other collaborative concepts at the April 10-12 iPad Summit USA as well as during our EdTechTeacher Summer Workshops.