March 7, 2014
What Every School Leader Should Know about Google with Holly Clark – LIVE Blog from Beth Holland
What does Google Apps for Education bring to a school and a classroom. Google's motto is to share and collaborate, so how do we leverage this capacity to transform curriculum? Beyond using Google to search and to word process, Holly wants us to think about the other tools available within the suite - like Google Hangouts. As an administrator, when I walk past a classroom, should I see an environment that would prepare students for 1980 or 2030? The New Digital Divide -
- "Those who know how to think about search vs those who don't."
- "Those who know how to validate information vs those who don't."
- "Those who understand the current culture of information abundance vs those who don't."
- "Those who have information come to them vs those who go searching it out."
- "Those who know how to create and remix vs those who don't."
- Substitution - write a paper as a doc
- Augmentation - leverage the commenting as a teacher to provide ongoing feedback throughout the process
- Modification - collaboratively write the paper with a classmate so that both parties are invested
- Redefinition - collaboratively write a paper with a class in another country and continue the conversation. In doing this, students were able to gain a global perspective and expand their connection to the content.